To accommodate the boom in membership, a new Synagogue and community centre was built at Grove End Road. The community centre opened in 1957 and the Synagogue was completed in 1964 and this continues to be our home to the present day.
In 1913, Chief Rabbi J H Hertz succeeded Chief Rabbi Adler and moved to St. John’s Wood, kickstarting a tradition that would make our community famous around the world. From 1913-2013, the Synagogue served as the Seat of the Chief Rabbi, who resided in nearby Hamilton Terrace. Chief Rabbis Sir Israel Brodie, HaRav Lord Jakobovits and Rabbi Lord Sacks were all regular attendees at our Synagogue.
The Synagogue also has a rich aesthetic history.
The outstanding stained glass windows in the main synagogue sanctuary were designed by the 20th century artist and scholar David Hillman. Hill-man’s masterful windows can be seen in many other London Synagogues and around the world including the Heichal Shlomo Synagogue in Jerusalem. St John’s Wood’s collection of 160 windows is the largest collection of Hill-man windows in the world. Hillman’s command of art together with his knowledge of biblical and talmudic texts left the community with a permanent legacy. His windows remain eye-catching and beautiful to this day.